Indonesia - Padang

2:51 AM

We recently went to Padang in Indonesia, also known as West Sumatra. We only went for 3 days but it was such a lovely and relaxing trip. This is where we’re actually from and our parents grew up here but the last time we came to visit was in 2011, so I was really excited to go back. Padang is very green and small! 
We arrived early in the morning and went straight to the village - Bukit Tingi which is around a 3 hour ride from the city, but we stopped at a waterfall and a library (where our Grandpa gave away most of his books) along the way. 

We reached Bukit Tingi and visited our relatives. They took us to the house that our mum grew up in and looked through all the photo albums of our mum, grandpa. It was so fascinating especially cause my grandpa travelled a lot and there were gorgeous photographs that he took. Also, everyone says I looked exactly like my mum when she was young.
We stayed at Bougenville Motel for the night and the next morning, we had breakfast on the balcony and walked to rice fields behind the motel. It was drizzling, but we still went and walked around the rice fields which was gigantic and beautiful. 
Afterwards we went to Pagaruyung which is basically a big palace designed in a traditional Padang style. We drove back to Padang and on our last day we head to the beach! We were all praying for the rain to go away, but unfortunately it was still drizzling, but that didn’t stop us from going cause it was our last day! We took a boat to the islands (went to 3 different islands and one of them is called Sikuai island) and swam. It was quite crowded cause it was a public holiday, so we asked our boat driver to take us to a random and quiet island and so he did! It felt like a real adventure on our way back when it started to rain heavily! Definitely need to come back during the summer. So that was our trip! Short and sweet. 
Padang is not as well known as the rest of Indonesia such as Bali which I think is a shame because it's beautiful. The tourism industry in Padang isn't that big either and I feel pretty lucky I got to explore all the places because our relatives took us, so if you have any questions, please ask!  






You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. It is always nice to combine family visits with adventure time! :D I will keep Padang in mind next time I swing by Indo. I still haven't been to Sumatra, but it is high on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah especially when you haven't seen your relatives for years! :)

      Delete
    2. REPLY: Camping in the wintery desert also sounds like an absolutely amazing experience! Where was that? :)

      Delete
    3. I've camped in Qatar and Oman during winter before :) It gets really cold at night (for me anyways) haha, but there was this one night where we saw 5 shooting stars!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for showing us that there are beautiful places in Indonesia other than Bali ;P I've only ever been to Jakarta! / I usually visit my extended family once a year, usually over winter break. They all live in Taiwan, but I've never lived there myself. There's a lot of Taiwan that I haven't seen because I'm usually jumping from house to house rather than touring around! It's great that you got to look around! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no problem, there's lots of places in Indonesia I have yet to visit! Yeah I'm glad we got to explore in just 3 days. Awh, you should ask your relatives to show you around next time you visit!

      Delete